JAPAN KARATE-DO SCHOOL - AKR
Shihan Raul Shelton founded the Japan Karate Do Joshinmon School (JKS) in Houston, Texas in 1981. Mr Shelton started to organize and promote the traditional Karate in Houston, TX with Sensei Ramon Veras. Looking for Karate groups outside Texas, our group became affiliated and became a member of the United States Karate Federation (USAKF) led by Master George Anderson in 1985.
Mr Shelton started to organize tournaments and conducting referee courses to this newly formed group together with Sensei Veras and Sensei Luis Gonzalez from San Antonio, TX.
In 1995, the existing United States National Karate Federation (USANKF) was formed and became the National Governing Body for Karate in the United States. Mr Shelton became part of this elite group and continued his work on the State of Texas and supporting the federation at the National Level as well.
In 2014, Mr Shelton actually forms a multi-style traditional karate group, mainly for three styles: Shorin, Shito and Shotokan. While maintaining the traditional karate values but incorporating the competition sport of it as well.
We are members and hold the Honbu Dojo for the American Karate-Do Rengo Kai organization that was established in 2014 by a group of high rank karate practicioners with the intention to promote the tradition and the sport of karate in the United States.
Our organization is an accredited member of the USA National Karate-do Federation (USA-NKF), which is the National Governing Body (NGB) for Karate within the United States, as designated by the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC). The USANKF is a member of the U.S. Olympic Committee. Expect these credentials from quality Karate schools.
We are a Karate Dojo headed by professionals and experienced Karate teachers and instructors who have been teaching Karate for over 45 years. We have created many champions at the local, national and international level. All classes have been designed to provide a challenging and fun atmosphere where the students will learn at a very fast pace due to the way classes are structured. We are proud of our commitment of quality Karate and our hard-earned reputation, professionalism and excellence.
As mandated by the USA-NKF and the US Olympic committee, we have to comply with:
1. Background Check every two years.
2. Pass a Safe Sport class on how to interact with students every two years.
1. To provide a friendly, safe and positive training environment in which students can learn the philosophy and the skills of Martial arts.
2. To have a strong, supportive martial arts family which builds positive role models within the surrounding community, demonstrating exceptional character and the philosophy of non-violence.
3. To enable each student to achieve a healthy life through a serious commitment to the practice of martial arts and to become a successful individual in every day life through the practice of Karate-Do philosophy.
JKS MISSION STATEMENT
North Houston Dojo, 1981. Shihan Shelton top back rigth.
Houston Tournament, 1982.
Houston Tournament, 1986.
San Antonio Tournament, 2006.
Left to Right: Sensei Lisy, Shihan Raul Shelton and Sensei Zeny